Sunday, 21 November 2010


Welcome to our blog. We are currently in the process of buying a 60ft narrowboat. It is called Water Witch. Sometimes things go quickly, and then we hit a snag. We only made the offer on the boat about 2 weeks ago. The finances are all sorted and we have a mooring lined up. Things were running nice and smoothly but then we hit one of those snags. Before we sign on the dotted line, and before the bank hands over the loan we've arranged, we need to get a survey done. For that to happen we need to take the boat out of the water, and the earliest that is going to happen is the week before Christmas - nearly a month! Of course, once you hit one snag, you notice another one waiting in the wings...for us that snag in waiting is the fact that a lock we need to go through to get the boat to our Essex mooring  is going to be closed...until the end of February. As we say in Essex...proper annoying! (or words to that effect).

I first thought about getting a boat to live aboard about 20 years ago. I guess waiting another couple of months before it actually happens isn't the end of the world!

Anyway, that's the story so far. For the time being I'll try to update here once a week.

In the meantime, here's a picture with a canal in it...and a bus:

Don't turn right!

1 comment:

  1. We were trapped behind a lock stoppage at Stansted Abbots on the Lee for a few weeks when we bought Herbie. In retrospect it was quite a good thing. We got a chance to explore an area we didn't know and a chance to get the boat equipped and sorted before our first longish trip home.

    Hope the survey goes well. Expect the surveyor to find a few things wrong. He needs to show he's earning his money and you may be able to negotiate with the seller if anything expensive comes up. Usually its just small stuff.